Translate

Truth

Truth
Bleeding

Disclaimer:

Everything you read here should be considered fiction. Patient rights will always be respected. Any resemblance to persons living or not is purely coincidental.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Busy

Saturday morning.  Been a week since we had a call, either in the local village or in our still-busy tourist trap.  A WEEK with no calls, sigh.
Football game starts at 1000 and the nephew's playing, so I get to sleep relatively early, around 0300...

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP

Tones go off at 0745 for a female with chest pain outside the gym.  Just happens there's a paramedic there as well.  So with the dearth of calls, we end up with 3 paramedics, an EMT-I, two EMT-B's, and the lone EMR (me).  12 lead shows nothing suspicious, but our ambulance heads north to the hospital for the tearing left chest pain.  Thad takes the ambulance, since I want to watch the football game.

Back in bed at 0810, set the alarm for 0940 so I can make it to the game in time for kickoff.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP

I slap my palm down on the alarm, but it's the pager.  70 yo male with syncope in the village.  I call throw the action adventure pants on and call in as on my way, 15 mins out.  Village ambulance is on the way, a couple of volunteer EMTs and EMRs have called in as on scene.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP

Football player down on the field.  Possible spinal injury.  5 blocks from the guy with syncope.  My nephew's playing in that game...sounds like plenty on hand for the old man.  Call in and request to divert.  Diverted to football field.  First on scene.  Not my boy's number (phew) grab my bag and walk on the field like I know what I'm doing.  I don't.

12 yo female (yup, the girls get to play too) point tenderness to mid-back (just below the pads) following a pretty hard helmet hit.  She's laying on her right side, pads and helmet still on.  First responder on scene has hooked up 2 liters by NC, but the kid's crying and pretty snotty, so the cannula is in her mouth.  Not what they taught us in class, but OK I guess.  ABC's, CSM intact.  Start getting the jersey cut off to do a full exam when the cavalry arrives.  A couple of the village crew grabbed the quick response vehicle (QRV) which is a crew-cab pickup containing extrication and packaging gear.  The boys take over, get the pads off, and strap the poor kid to a board with her helmet on.  (Note - pads off = helmet off too, or a bunch of padding).  We move her off the field to the QRV to await an ambulance.  Thad shows up with the Type 1, they load, and are off.

Not bad for a rag-tag bunch on a Saturday morning.

What really surprised scared the crap out of me, was how blank my mind went when I arrived on scene.  I mean, it's a responder's dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment