Translate

Truth

Truth
Bleeding

Disclaimer:

Everything you read here should be considered fiction. Patient rights will always be respected. Any resemblance to persons living or not is purely coincidental.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm in - on to the next step

All the work by my colleagues has paid off.  We are going to have an EMT-B (or just 'EMT' in the new standard scope of practice) course.  It starts next week.  Runs 2.5 hours twice a week, some Saturday skills days.  October through April.
We all had to write a letter of intent in order to be considered for the class, so here it is:

******************************************************************
Why do I want to be an EMT-B?
Do you want the real, full story about how an aging GIS professional falls in love with EMS after years of dabbling in WFA, WFR, and CPR courses?  I didn’t think so.
The truth of the matter is, I don’t know if I will be a good EMT. 
There.  I said it.
I am struggling as a First Responder/EMR to provide solid patient care.  After every run I find something I could have done better or differently.  My lack of knowledge frustrates me.  I am constantly looking up terminology or reviewing protocols to try and fill in the gaps. 
If I’m having this much trouble as an EMR, why go on to EMT?
It is because I’m struggling that I want to continue with my EMS education.  I want to be able to do more, to help more, both with the Government EMS crew and with the volunteer Village EMS.  To do that, I need more education and experience and I believe the course offered this winter/spring will help.
So, take a chance on this wannabe-EMT/mapping geek.
Thank you for considering my application

-A. Ranger
******************************************************************


Who would accept that letter?
Apparently our EMS director would.
Me and 13 others will be working together for the next 7 months to become better practicioners and frankly, well, I'm freaking out a bit.
I guess you will all have to get used to those type posts for the next 7 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment