Translate

Truth

Truth
Bleeding

Disclaimer:

Everything you read here should be considered fiction. Patient rights will always be respected. Any resemblance to persons living or not is purely coincidental.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The end is (too) near!

So I had a minor panic attack yesterday.

I was setting up my 2012 calendar.

Now, for as much of a tech-junkie as I am (the kit I take EVERYWHERE contains: Kindle Fire tablet, iPod Touch with med apps & podcasts, iPod Classic for music, Bose headphones, wifi hotspot, solar power pack, iPod external battery, and all chargers/cables for said devices)
BUT I am a Luddite when it comes to calendars.

There's something very visceral about writing down a task then crossing it off.  I love that.  I'm a constant list-maker.

So when the new year arrives, I'm off to the nearest office supply store to find the perfect calendar.  Must be indexed by month, prefer spiral bound, not a ton of extra pages I will need to rip out, and at least letter sized so I can slip important papers in it.  These usually run around $20.

Then the fun begins.  I go through the calendar and mark out the holidays, pay days, and birthdays.  I use different color pens and pencils for this.  Then I go through last year's calendar to make sure nothing slips through.  It's total overkill and I enjoy it.  I get to review last year and see what this year is going to look like.  When are the holidays - oooh!  should I book a vacation for that long weekend?  See?  Fun!

But then I started adding in our remaining EMT classes.  That's where the panic set in.
Total?
24 weeks of class
41 night classes
1 extrication day
7 written exams
1 class written final
1 class practical final
1 NREMT practical
1 NREMT written
Clinicals @ ED and another Ambulance Service

Completed?
9 weeks of class
16 night classes
3 written exams

I start to add all of the EMT classes, study sessions, reviews, and tests to my new calendar.
BP rises.  Flushed.  Tachycardic.
Maybe it was the fact that we had a few weeks' break and now it's just class, class, and more class until the final?  I don't know.  We are just over one-third of the way done and I feel sick.
I have do do this, and do it well.  I want to be a good EMT.  Hell, I want to be one of the best.
I know I can do this well.
So why am I so freaked out?

No comments:

Post a Comment